Monday, April 9, 2012

Grandad's Cup


Silence had descended on the house this Easter Monday morning. All I can hear is the huffy breathing of Hannah cat. My nest has emptied once again and a niggle of melancholy is setting in. Order has been restored, pillows fluffed and little bits of pastel tin foil from chocolate eggs removed from the coffee table. 

A pretty silver cup, filled with hyacinth from the garden sits on my mantle. This little cup has a certain power over me. Sometimes it's sentimentality brings tears to my eyes. It belonged to my Grandad, engraved with his initials and birth date. It remained paired with one other - my Granny's christening cup - for over 60 years, and sat on their mantle, always filled with little blossoms from their garden, for their entire married life. A glimpse of this cup brings a flood of memories for me of their wonderful home and love and devotion our entire family had for them. 

When my grandparents died, the cups were gifted to my children who were the first great grandchildren. My Granny's cup I gave to my son, and my Granddad's to my daughter. Boy Child has his on his mantle at home and one day shortly, I shall send this precious one over to Girl Child to love and treasure as I do. Although separated now, these cups are still connected through the bonds of brother and sister, and one day, I hope their children will fondly remember them filled with little posies.

11 comments:

  1. That you son has the other one on his mantle shows he has your love for family. You are such a good mother and daughter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The silver cup is lovely as is the story that goes with it. The blue hyacinths are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When the empty nest melancholy hits - suffer through it for one minute and then turn the music on to dancing tunes!

    And, that's a beautiful story about the silver cups.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olive is right, your son has a special place in his heart for his family. What lovely rememberances of a long-married couple. Where were they from Chania, I know you are from ALL OVER! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautifully simple display, Chania, and a fitting continuance of tradition. The night blue of the hyacinths is perfect with the silver.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a little quiet around here today as well...comforting but a little sad. I wait and wait for all the noise...there's something so wonderful about your kids and family all talking to each other at one time. :)

    I love the story about these cups. They are apart but not really...

    and I really like your new blog look. I got rid of my header and everything else. It was all looking too chaotic and I can't have that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh how very sweet and touching and how right it all is.
    Yes, the tradition but also, if you are anything like me, the cup is a sign, a small evidence that those loved ones are still there with you all ..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a beautiful sentiment . . . And with your boy childd repeating the mantle silver cup gives testament of you and family. I loved this Chania

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know your grandparents, but I can't believe they wouldn't be happy with your decision. How beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm almost empty-nesting here! Just Babygirl left since her sisters' apartments have finally been cleared of their flood damage. I'm really not sure how I'll figure out how to cook for only three!

    DeeDee
    www.KidNeedsAKidney.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cup is absolutely gorgeous and the story is so loving and wonderful. What a lovely gift for your children to have for their children. So sweet.

    xojoan

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania