Thursday, November 24, 2011

Nurturing the College Kid

For College kids, it`s the last 3 weeks of school for the term....a rush of projects, exams and for most a time of GREAT stress.  It`s a time when comments from teachers like ``50% of you will fail this exam`` and ``if this class is the future of Fashion, then I`m very afraid``  For some kids that rolls off their shoulders, for others, it`s a kick in the teeth.... It negates what the positive teachers have done all year.  

My Girl Child is working on her second College Diploma.  Having had Boy Child in Uni too, I think I know what they need about now.  No lectures on how much they study, or how they leave everything to the last minute.  What they need is food.  To fuel their brains and late night rushes. Girl child had a day off from her Internship today, so arrived home last night.  We haven`t mentioned school. We went shopping for warm socks and I fed her home cooking.  She`s heading back with a big chicken pot pie and fresh Cauliflower Cheese soup. And a dozen breakfast muffins made with bananas, oats and honey to freeze and breakfast on during exam week.

This morning I made her a simple breakfast of a warm muffin and Greek yogurt with blackberries and pomegranates....served  with a pretty napkin.  A hug and kiss,a basket of clean laundry, a bag of Cadbury`s Buttons, and she`s back on her own to make her way through the next few weeks. Recipe for muffins below.  Do you have kids in College feeling the stress?.  What do you do?


BANANA OATMEAL MUFFINS
Printed from COOKS.COM


1/2 c. sugar
1/2 c. butter
2 eggs
2 ripe bananas, mashed (1 c.)
3/4 c. honey
1/4 c. milk
1 3/4 c. flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp salt
1 c. oatmeal
1 c. raisins
1/2 c. walnuts
Cream sugar and butter. Add egg, bananas, honey and milk. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and oatmeal. Stir until blended. Add nuts and raisins. Spoon in greased muffin tins. Bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes. 18 muffins.

14 comments:

  1. The muffins sound good! Maybe I can convert them to gluten free.
    My daughter is in college, finishing up her credits on a part time basis but is feeling the stress. I think being so close to finishing sometimes adds a little more stress to the situation.
    I create a safe space for her to do and say what needs to, offer support and comfort and a little fun distraction to take some of the pressure off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ch: you make me remember my mom, and all the love she showed me and my sis, with her food! My kids are younger then yours: (10, 8 and 4 months) and I hope they feel my love thru my food!
    kisses from Argentina,
    Cynthia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Since this is our Thanksgiving there is a lot of comfort food, family support and relaxation for a few days away from school worries. We are taking advantage of the down time to have some fun, see the new Twilight movie and just be "girls". I have faith that both our girls will come out the other side victorious - because they are strong! This was a great post Chania. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just thinking of looking up a banana muffin recipe online...no kidding! I know what I'm making today! Thanks.
    And by the way, your daughter is a very lucky gal to have such a sweet mama as you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. No longer in the "college kid" category, but I could use those muffins too! You're a good mom, Chania!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had my two in university so I know what it's like! Care parcels of food in the mail was always a treat for them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. To this day Chania...the first thing my kids do when they walk into the house, and this includes my son-in-law...what am I saying, especially my son-in-law!, is open the fridge.
    Yes...feed them I say!

    ReplyDelete
  8. No kids in college but I've got a big kid right here. And I fill his belly too! xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great mum you are Chania!

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are the Mom to wish for! Oh, and great recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. You're such a good and dedicated mom. And you know just what your kids need, and when to stand back and let them fly.
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perfect! Absolutely perfect! Food not just for the body...but the soul.

    ReplyDelete
  13. will you be my Mother?

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania