Thursday, July 14, 2011

This is it!

Greetings from Florida where the weather is STINKING hot, but tropical is always OK with me. Maybe because I was born in Nairobi, I enjoy a steamy climate.  And I am so Over-the-Moon excited because we just heard that our offer on a house has been accepted.  As JACQUELINE said to me in her comment a week ago...The House Picks You.  And this one certainly did.  Since last August, when we decided to sell the cottage, I have been obsessively perusing Realtor.com for homes in the St. Petersburg area, close to The Raz Man's Clearwater Office.  Since this was to be a second home base, the budget wasn't huge, nor the requirements for square footage. We were also very fortunate that the house prices in Florida are SO good, due to the awful financial crisis. The sq footage of both our Ontario house and this one combined is less than 3000 sq feet, but the fact that many people are losing homes is not lost on me. No one should lose their home, that's just awful. St. Petersburg is full of historic homes, many reflection the Northern Colonial styles and Bungalows.  Beautiful houses.  I liked so many houses, and we even made an offer on one, which fell through.  2 weeks ago, unable to find the right home, I moved the search 3 blocks West.  To an equally nice area, just West of a busy street.  Better value, 1/2 the property taxes.  And I spotted this house.  For the first time since my search, this one REALLY spoke to me.  Instant LOVE.

Since our trip was a few weeks off, I checked the status of this house every day for nearly 3 weeks.  When the agent set up the appointments for yesterday,  I was sure it would be sold.  But it wasn't.  The minute I walked in, I told the agent we didn't need to see anything else.  But we did.  The entire time we viewed the next 4 houses, I crossed my fingers that they would show "like a dog with fleas" and the Raz Man wouldn't love any of them.  And he didn't.  And we made an offer.  And they accepted.

This house was built in 1936 in the Monterey Style.  It is built Adobe style with cement block and stucco with lovely large window sills, but typical of a Monterey Style home, it has a narrow covered porch upstairs and downstairs and on the side, designed to provide shade.  It is 1600 sq feet, so not a huge house, but lots of room.  Also typical of a Monterey house are the white walls, dark floors and door with glass knobs.  It is a bit quirky. For instance, at the rear, it has  parking pad and no back yard.  The side has a small rectangular garden off the side porch and the front yard has a few feet of grass and then a large fenced front yard set back from the street.  So the front door is hidden behind the fence.

The selling point for me, besides the gorgeous redone house, is the garden.  It has brick terraces and pathways of old brick, and lush tropical plantings. We do plan to add a very linear pool on the one side and create the entrance on the other side. 
Living room
To me, the beauty of this house is the fact that the furnishings will NOT make this house.  We plan only a white sectional sofa, table and some simple dining chairs.  Other than books and art, it needs nothing.  It needs to be simple. We do plan to rent it out also, so a simple fresh decor will be very suitable.
My dream kitchen (although no gas stove)
 This house had a complete hold over me from my first Internet viewing. It defintelt CHOSE ME.
Master bedroom.  Smaller than it looks. Doors to balcony and a fireplace.

33 comments:

  1. This home would have grabbed me as well! Congratulations on choosing (or it choosing you) the perfectly beautiful place!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in love with it too. So happy for you. I would hang out on that balcony all day with wine in hand.
    Your Friend, m.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Chania! What a lovely home! I completely agree with Jacqueline. It is just a matter of having enough patience to wait for the right house to speak to you. In choosing my current home I was tired of looking and settled for one I did not like.

    Despite the rain (which we needed) it has been beautiful here! I hope you enjoy your time here.

    ~ Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Of course you love it. it is adorable. What beautiful floors.
    nellie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!!! It sounds and looks wonderful. I bet you can't wait to get some furniture in there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats Chania, looks wonderful. Love the wooden floor and clean white lines.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Big relief to have made the decision? It is a lovely house, beautiful floors, nice open feel and will feel even better once christened with a gin and tonic. Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It Is Gorgeous!!! Put me down for a rental.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it! I can imagine all the wonder touches and personality you will give it!
    Congrats!~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad the house finally found you Chania - it is lovely! Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this house!...WOW so happy for yall, this is fantastic news.
    It is lovely!
    ~JO
    LazyonLoblolly

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! It looks fantastic! How thrilling for you :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's beautiful Chania...can't wait to see pictures of the garden and how it looks when you have given it your signature style! Congratulations...you have a beautiful home and the house has beautiful owners..perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Well done Chania. How pleased I am that you found something you love. xx

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can feel it from here. It looks perfect. Have fun with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ooh, exciting! CAn't wait to see the garden... and pictures of every room... and a house plan...

    ReplyDelete
  17. love it! i am surprised by the very modern kitchen...but i love it. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The house is perfect! I am so happy for you! Thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh Chania..so happy for you guys.... Congratulations. It does look perfect for you.

    xx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  20. Nice - but you may not need the fireplace...

    ReplyDelete
  21. How good to have found it away from busy street. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Good Im glad you found something that you love!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Chania, it's beautiful! It wall worked out so well for you. Congratulations!
    Will you ever use that fireplace in Florida? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yayness! It looks light and fresh. Welcome to the South.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Lucky you! And what a find. Your new house is just gorgeous and I know you are going to have a blast decorating it! ~Delores

    ReplyDelete
  26. The house was obviously meant to be :-) The flooring is beautiful, and you're right, simple furnishings is all you need - the bones of the home are great, and the kitchen is fantastic!

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  27. congrats! I'm so thrilled for you! It's true - the house does tell you and it's lovely when you can actually find something that does. The floors are gorgeous and what a beautiful kitchen. I love the covered porch and the garden sounds perfect. xo

    ReplyDelete
  28. I can just hear the excitement in your voice Chania. Congratulations - it looks amazing, and was obviously meant to be! xx

    ReplyDelete
  29. Chania, What a beautiful place to call home when you're in Florida. I'm in love with those dark floors. I know you said it's not huge but it looks spacious. I can't wait to see how you add your touch throughout. You always make everything so beautiful. Very exciting news, indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  30. What a great abode for Florida!! I know you will just love spending time there!!

    xoxo
    Karena

    Art by Karena

    Come and enter my Giveaway for a special painting by Mary Maxam

    ReplyDelete
  31. Oh Chania.....CONGRATULATIONS Lovey....!!

    I'm so GLAD you found a place....It's absolutely GORGEOUS....Now WHEN can I come visit.... :o) !!!

    I'm looking forward to seeing more when you have a chance....!!!!!

    Cheers from Oz,
    Tamarah xxx

    ReplyDelete
  32. Oh it's gorgeous Chania, my goodness we need some of that hot weather here in Vancouver. Lovely space, congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Chania,

    I am thrilled for you! This has been a long journey, and your patience has paid off. The house is gorgeous! I can't wait to see you put your decorating stamp on it. Congratulations!

    Anne

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania