Monday, May 9, 2011

Ridiculously Large Farm House Garden Table

My existing patio furniture bit the biscuit, completely falling apart and really unsafe.  The chairs have collapsed under the weight of even our slimmer guests.  I set about finding the perfect table, and really couldn't find the right one.  I wanted to seat 10. It had to be wheelchair accessible for my mum, and I wanted a big solid table that would last for ages, and not end up in a landfill.  Teak was way to pricey and so not an option for a table this size.  I asked my son's friend Kelly to make me one from cedar.  And this is what we came up with.  I went with a Farmhouse Style table.  Simple and Solid.

He was creating this during the Easter week and I am sure the neighbours thought he was recreating the Last Supper.  I actually took 2 feet off it before he was too far along, as it was too big for the yard. It is 10 feet long. Total cost of materials was $395.00.   If you used pressure treated lumber it would be half that.

I was actually quite chuffed with it but my delightful Mum, whose stroke has caused her to abandon her sense of tact and diplomacy, took one look at it and declared it "RIDICULOUS.  Ridiculously large....a stupid idea".  The funny thing is, it comes out of her mouth, and then she realizes what she has said and gets the giggles, then it becomes the family joke.  "Mum, come sit at the Ridiculous table" to which she laughs her head off.

And right about now, on this fourth photo is where I stepped on a very rusty nail from the old set, which pierced through my Emu slipper and pinned it to my foot like a well hung shingle.....just to the left is where I was rolling on the ground trying to extract the nail...... cursing like a truck driver........

27 comments:

  1. OMG! I am seriously in love with this table! Please share the dimensions with us. I'm sure the cedar will hold up well outdoors ~~~ your idea was brilliant!

    Hope your foot is OK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am LOVING your wonderfully large farm table. Perfect for friends and family to gather around. What a great deal too!

    Hope your foot is OK - sounds painful. All the best, Lori

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your "ridiculously large" farm table. It is awesome! It will weather nicely outside.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous table - I can see many late evening dinners and hors d'oeuvres with wine around that lovely table. The foot - now that's not so lovely. I hope all is well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tetanus? Did anyone suggest a tetanus shot?

    Your table is fantastic, will it weather naturally or will you treat it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love it! Lucky that your son's friends are so talented!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love it...not the nail of course but the table! And I second the tetanus shot idea...yikes!

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ah, that's a great story Chania. Love your table, and the ridiculously appropriate space that you're able to fit it in!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hahaha - pinned to the emu slipper like a well hung shingle! (snort) too funny. Great table and great story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My first thought was tetanus booster shot also. Oh dear!

    Well now the table holds even more memories than just family gatherings.
    :D
    xx
    z

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's a great table Chania, not ridiculous at all! What a great gathering spot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wowwwwww that table is great !!....and big !!!....lovely week darling....xxx...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bad luck about the nail - I hope you had an injection for it? That's a great table and not ridiculous at all! I love the old 'refectory' tables you can sometimes get at auction here - pity I haven't got a place big enough for one (or enough friends to fill it).

    ReplyDelete
  14. OUCH!!! Hope you're ok.
    Love the table - reminds me of the movie Chocolat - one of our favourites.
    Great table - ridiculously great!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is FANTASTIC! Now you have me worried...I have my hubs building me a similar table. I hope it won't be too big. I better check out the progress, it always sounds great in the planning stage, but sometimes just doesn't come out as I had planned! Lol!

    Love your chairs, too!

    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it!
    It reminds me of my old dining room table. We left it with the buyers of our last house. Now I'm sad. m.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an exciting life you lead! I love the table and I'm sure your Mum will grow to love it too.

    ReplyDelete
  18. By no means ridiculous and I envy you it! So much outdoor furniture is dinky and built to fall apart so that they can sell us more. Yours will become a family showpiece and looks ever so welcoming for summer meals.

    ReplyDelete
  19. OWWWWW to the nail in the foot! I don't blame you for cursing like a sailor, I would have done the same thing!

    The table looks great :-) I'm sure you and your mom and family & friends will enjoy lots of summer dinners gathered around it :-)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hope you've had your tetanus booster Chania! I did the same working on a construction site in Toronto a number of years ago. The only 'industrial accident' we had on the job!
    Your table is ridiculously gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I absolutely LOVE the table!! Your sons friend is very talented. I have been looking for something similar for my dining room. Soory to hear about the nail.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wonderful table, what a talented lad! hope your foot is better...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Please, Please, Pretty please share how you made this AMAZING table.
    I so want a new table for our deck. It's perfect!

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi,
    Thanks for such a nice and informative blog post. I have read such a nice written blog post on this rare topic after a long time and I admire your writing skills as well.

    ReplyDelete
  25. oh no! I hope your foot is ok and you're up to date on your tetanus shots! I think your ridiculous table is ridiculously perfect! xo

    ReplyDelete
  26. Chania, I am 'chuffed' with your table too. I can just see you and your neighbors sitting around it til the wee hrs sipping wine.

    Gee, it is so stable you AND your guests could dance on it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ok seriously....could you please stop making me so jealous???? I adore the table. I so wish you were my neighbor!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania