Friday, September 24, 2010

Photo Challenge and Next Week's Challenge (you're going to hate it)

This week the Photo Challenge was AGE.  Your interpretation. 
I love old things, always gravitating to vintage or antique or used over new.
The picture above shows the door of an old cupboard at the cottage.  I like the grubbiness of this cabinet, and the way the paint has crackled to an aligator skin finish, revealing the peek of green paint below.
I like to imagine where this little cupboard has been. 
Whose kitchen......what did it hold....
The changing decor it has been part of over the past 100 years or so.
Each layer of paint with it's own story...rather like people, with all of our layers that form over the years.......protective layers,  joyful and sad times....

Which brings me to next weeks challenge.
YOU'RE GOING TO LOVE IT
OR
HATE IT...

Next weeks challenge is

SELF PORTRAIT.
Yes, I can see you squirming.  Blogging is a somewhat secretive endeavor. Only revealing what you want, small parts, the better parts for the most part. Hiding, standing back, creating an online image... our blog readers see only what we want them to see, unlike the real world where people interpret us through their visual and physical interactions with us.  Getting to know our blogging buddies, seldom leads to sending a photo as you might have done years ago with a pen pal. 
It's a bit like online dating....a creative and catchy profile.....an attractive, maybe even outdated or glamour shot photo.....BUT.....is that the real person there, and what more is there to see.

The good part is, this is an artistic endeavor.....self portrait can be taken literally or figuratively.  It doesn't necessarily mean your FACE.
Interpret as you wish.


17 comments:

  1. Cool idea for next week! Now, for this week...I love old things too! That little bit of green peeking through the crackled paint is super sweet!

    I hope you have a blessed weekend!

    : )

    Julie M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ps I like how your comments are centered. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love next week's challenge! You're so poetic! I love it! Thanks for hosting these, I am having a lot of fun with this!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy weekend darling........love Ria.......joy joy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Morning Chania.... :o) !!

    This is such a CLEVER challenge my Friend....What day do we need to get the pic through to you by....? I'm having problems uploading pics here at HDC in Texas but would LOVE to enter if I'm back in OZ in time....!!!

    I hope you're having an AWESOME week Lovey & WISH you could see the fields of JUNK I've been visiting this past week....!

    Cheers for now from Brenham Texas,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Chania, your cabinet has a fabulous aged patina. Okay lovey I am squirmimg and defintely challenged about next week! Well done. ♥O

    ReplyDelete
  7. Next week's photo challenge... love it!

    The shot with the milky bowl is fantastic. The slight blurry contrasted with the sharpness of the glass pendant is so eye catching.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, can I do this? I will try. I love your photo challenges!

    xo M

    ReplyDelete
  9. Now there is real crackle! Love it! Kit

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooh! I love how the paint is cracking! Very nice! :D

    I'm excited for next week's theme!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the cabinet-- A perfect choice to show aging-- gracefully.
    Happy weekend, jj

    ReplyDelete
  12. Chania,

    ....and I liked you so much... : ( why would you do this to us? ; 0

    I mean I get the challenge part, I really do, and you know I ponder each one carefully, but holy self reflection batwoman..this one is tough on so many levels.

    So I guess I have to step out of my comfort zone eh? Are those your hands on my back ready to shove?

    Have a glorious weekend you devil you.

    xxx
    z

    BTW love the cabinet and the bauble, but I think I'm still vexed....

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am in quite the state thinking about the "self portrait" that I almost forgot to comment on your striking photos this week. Who doesn't love a crackling paint and a glass door knob? Romantic is what those pictures are...

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have a creative eye and put thought behind what you shoot. Love that and love the photos...so many try to "create" this kind of character on their furniture, cabinets, etc but nothing beats the real thing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That 1941 is little old me - self portrait indeed! A very clever assignment for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I"m so enjoying your photo challenges. I love your interpretation of age. As you may remember, I share your love of weathered items and am always imagining who owned the item previously.

    Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with next week! It's so true that our blogs only reflect the part we feel comfortable revealing in a public forum.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just discovered your blog... I am so thrilled! Your photo challenges are such a cool idea! Would like to join next week's challenge -- when do we need to link up by? :) mercedes

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania