Saturday, September 18, 2010

Best Carrot Cake Recipe.

"The Barefoot Chania" Carrot Cake.

I always volunteer to bake a cake when I am invited to dinner somewhere.  I love to bake.  I could bake all day.  Usually the host requests my Vanilla Cake or Chocolate Buttercream, but this time I didn't give them a choice.  I was craving a Fall cake.  Something heavy and spicy. 
This is the Barefoot Contessa's Carrot Cake recipe, and it is easy to make and fabulous.  It is honestly the best carrot cake I have ever made.  Chock full of pineapple bits, raisins and loads of walnuts, it's dense and delicious.  I added a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg which gave it a little Zing.  There's nothing like fresh nutmeg.  If you want to buy a gtreat gift for a cook, buy them a nutmeg grater and a few fresh nutmeg nuts. (is that what they are called....Nuts?)


I finished it off with a sprinkle of chopped walnuts and a simple line of piped rosettes.
I love all of Ina Garten's recipes (Barefoot Contessa)  She's been trying to kill her Geoffrey for years with butter.  He's one lucky dude.  He works in the city and returns to the Hamptons eeach weekend, where she light him a fire, gets his slippers and cook him up a feast (rather like Mr Raz).  After a weekend of plumping him up, she send him back to the city laden with home made goodies. 
On one show she actually said
 
"Geoffrey's going back to the city today, and I want to make sure no one else is feeding him, so I send back my..homemade whatever......"
I laughed so hard over that one.  I love her.  I think I am a bit like her actually.  Except I cuss in the kitchen.  Swear like a Trooper.  Shockingly foul mouthed.
This cake is huge.  You could feed 12-14 at least.
You can find the recipe HERE

22 comments:

  1. Sounds rich and delicious. That frosting looks heavenly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Carrot cake is one of my favorite things in the world and this is great!

    Have a great weekend Chania!

    M

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! That looks incredible. Now I am very hungry and what I have in my kitchen is not going to cut it.....LOL Kit

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, not fair that cake looks scrumptious! I love to bake too, I just don't seem to do it as much anymore, but your gorgeous cake has inspired me to get back in the kitchen!

    And I'm betting Ina curses in the kitchen too...just not on camera! ;-)

    Kat :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carrot cake is the best! And so is The Barefoot Contessa. I have never tried a recipe of hers, but this looks doable and your pictures make my mouth water! Thank you for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like the perfect cake for Autumn, I'll be making it! Belinda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks verry yammie yammie......great !! lovely sunday darling....hugs from me....Ria

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's a magnificent cake and you've presented it beautifully, Chania! I must invite 11-13 people around straight away and make one. Or 10-12 so that I can have a double helping. Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  9. You know I am going to be giving this one a go...although I'm not so sure I will have the patience to decorate it as beautifully as you have!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm looks delish.. I love carrot cake! Lx

    ReplyDelete
  11. That cake looks delicious Chania. Would grace any dinner party. I love the way you've iced it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh how I love carrot cake. This one looks absolutely mouthwatering.
    I love to bake too. This may be added to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh %$#& are we only supposed to curse in the kitchen? ^%$#

    No fair. I wake up, bring up my blogs and this is what I'm faced with first thing? How is the granola I poured gonna cut it now?

    It's lovely. You can bake for me anytime!

    xxx

    z

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love, love, love Ina's coconut cake recipe--it is LOADED with butter, and then covered in a cream cheese icing. My mom used to make it for my birthday. Now I'll have to learn to make it myself. I am compelled to make a cake now. Dang. (I'm foul mouthed too as soon as the kids are out of ear-shot).

    ReplyDelete
  15. Carrot cake is my husband's favorite. I usually use Martha's recipe, but will have to try this one. Everything I've ever made from Ina has turned out fabulous! Yours is very beautiful. I'd hate to cut into it. Nah!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, this looks incredible. Thanks for the recipe! What a gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh that looks sooooo good! Way to pretty to even eat! Hope you had a good weekend! Chrissy

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have to try this! I LOVE carrot cake! Thanks so much for the recipe....
    Hope you weekend was a good one!
    Health and happiness,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your cake looks AMAZING, Chania! I am so addicted to cream cheese frosting:) Thank you so much for sharing your recipe!! I am going to make this to take to a friend's morning tea next Friday...if it actually doesn't get eaten beforehand! YUM:) ~ Tina xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ooh, you're making me so hungry! I'm going to give this recipe a try tomorrow to feed the troops now it's school holidays. Thanks for the recipe. K xx

    ReplyDelete
  21. omg chania, that looks incredible!! i dont think i've ever made anything that looks that delicious! brilliant recipe too, looks like a good one! jxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania