Thursday, May 13, 2010

Church Salvage

I spotted this magnificent cross last week in a Salvage Shop.  It was so beautiful I had to snap a photo.
It was massive. Over 6' tall. With the most lovely details in the ironwork. Saints and leaves and biblical references all intertwined in the metal works.
 It got me thinking, not only about who would buy this ($2900.00) and where it could be used......
But who could let this go....It came from France.  How did it come to be in Canada?  Why would a church get rid of it?  Why would such an artifact end up in a Salvage Shop?
I wonder what building or roof top this was once on in France............
It has a story.  But we don't know it..
It even has the Original French Pigeon droppings still on it.  I love this piece.  I imagine it on a cathedral in France with a view of the entire country side.  Pigeons resting on it.  I wonder what wars and battles it has seen, and what parades and festivals, and all the people that have passed it.........It is so compelling to me.

11 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece. Its hazy history makes it all the more intriguing. I do love the use of vintage religious art in the home, because it is usually so well crafted. And there is something beautifully serene about it regardless of your religion. Thanks for sharing this, Chania.

    ReplyDelete
  2. absolutely beautiful post. I adore this piece. crosses are my weakness. it would go in my garden nicely....except for the price....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I don't think you come across anything like that very often in life. What a history it has with it. I actually don't think the price was too bad for it. Beautiful.

    xo
    LeAnn

    ReplyDelete
  4. ...how appropriate to find this in a salvage shop...Christ was always salvaging lives...

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a lovely post Chania! I always wonder about the travels of a piece myself..... I am sure it is loaded with wonderful energy!
    I rescued a crucifix a few years back from a flea market and I just love it.
    Hope it finds a home soon. It is simply beautiful!
    Health and happiness,
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good morning Chania....!

    INDEED this is a SENSATIONAL piece....I think it would look beautiful simply mounted on a wall in a living space as the central decorative element....It would be great to be able to find out which church it was mounted on & see pictures of it....!!

    Cheers & THANKS,
    Tamarah :o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hi chania! it sure is a great piece...i would like to know the history myself. have a great weekend! verbena cottage

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Chania - just to say there is a little award for you on my blog - abit cheeky...enjoy! L x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Chania, this is a fabulous relic. I adore it....

    Giveaway by Beth Cosner Design is up on my site....come visit!

    Karena
    Art by Karena

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow.

    Now that is very, very cool.

    Now if I only had $2900...............

    ReplyDelete

I love to read each and every comment and are thrilled that you take the time to send one. Thank you so much. Chania